Normal nutritional objectives are significantly altered following a cancer diagnosis, especially during and after treatments such as surgery, radiotherapy and chemotherapy.
iTAcC offers its patients a Nutrition Appointment led by a specialist in nutritional assessments of cancer patients, with the aim of improving food choices and ensuring appropriate nutritional intake as this may be altered by the cancer treatment.
Improving the patient’s nutritional status leads to:
Improved tolerance to the specific treatments
- Reduced complications resulting from the treatments
- Indirect increase in tumor control
- Improved quality of life for the patient
The specialist in Diet and Nutrition works with iTAcC patients by developing a customized assessment program of their nutritional status in order to detect any patients who may suffer from, or be at risk of, malnutrition.
What does the nutritional assessment consist of?
- Assessment of weight and other measurements
- Intake assessment
- Nutritional recommendations